Midwinter Festival 2018
Saturday, February 10th, 2018
Life in the City UMC, 205 E Monroe St, Austin TX 78704
The Austin Friends of Traditional Music (AFTM) will host its annual Midwinter Festival Saturday, February 10, 2018, at Life in the City, 205 E Monroe St, in Austin from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Come join in the fun, meet old friends and new, hear some great music. Play some yourself. Jamming is welcomed. In addition to concerts there will be workshops ranging from Afro-Cuban dance to autoharp to the history and songs of migrant Texas cedarchoppers. This is a family festival about making, learning, listening, and enjoying music for its own sake.
The festival will also raise the funds to continue the concerts, workshops and scholarships we sponsor throughout the year
Long before record players and radio stations, people made music, learning the secrets of tradition over generations. Traditional music is a living thing, from different peoples the world over, each heritage distinct but holding in common the determination to see its treasures survive and grow. Where'd you get your music from?
The festival provides a showcase for musicians, some well-known, others who make music primarily for family and friends.
- Noon - Cameron Knowler & Will Csorba
- 12:20 - Rabia Ali
- 12:40 - Mira Coquina Dickey, Norwegian hardanger fiddle
- 1:15 - Bereket – Middle Eastern
- 2:30 - Chris Buckley with Jeff Moore on Guitar – Irish Fiddle Master
- 3:45 - Wache – Afro-Colombian
- 5:00 - Ley Line – Multilingual World Folk and Soul
- 6:15 - Mazel Tov Kocktail Hour – Klezmer/Traditional Jewish, Belarusion and Russian Songs
- 7:30 - The Stovetop Rangers – Old Time Appalachian, Early Country, Pre-War Blues.
- 8:45 - Wilkinson’s Quartet – Western Swing/Jazz/Jump/Blues
Our workshops will give participants a window into a variety of folk traditions.
1pm to 2pm
- Leon Grizzard, Dan Foster - Guitar Accompaniment, Western Swing Style
- Ryan Gould - Bass workshop
- Alexa Dee - Deep Roots: History and Songs of Migrant Texas Cedar Choppers
2pm to 3pm