Austin Friends of Traditional Music 2014 Mid-Winter Festival
Saturday, Feb 8th, 2014 at the Dougherty Arts Center,
1110 Barton Springs Road, Austin, Texas
1:00 to 9 p.m. Doors open at 12:30 p.m.
If you like great traditional music by talented local bands, this is the place to be. We are planning a top-notch lineup of bands, many workshops and delicious food. You'll hear a smorgasbord of music from the U.S. and around the world!
Break out of the winter doldrums, hear some fantastic music and attend a broad array of workshops at no additional charge. The bands and workshop leaders are donating their time and talent to support the Austin Friends of Traditional Music. Please come out and give us your support. This is our annual fundraiser that provides the money to host our annual fall string band festival, house concerts and other shows throughout the year.
The Dougherty auditorium is a really sweet listening space with great sound and stadium seating so everyone can see and hear. You can move around the Center to attend workshops, get a bite to eat, bid on auction items, check out the art or just stretch your legs. Jamming is likely and encouraged!
Bluegrass, Blues, World Music, Old Time Appalachian, Celtic. Traditional music from diverse cultures!
THE SCHEDULE OF PERFORMANCES
- 1-1:45 Mark Gilston and friends - Dulcimer Traditional Tunes
- 2-2:45 Annoying Instrument Orchestra - World Music
- 3-3:45 David Hamburger Trio with Mark Epstein and Kyle Thompson - Blues Etc. Trio
- 4-4:45 Double Eagle String Band - Old-Time String Band
- 5-5:45 Peter Keane - Old-Time Country Blues Guitar
- 6-6:45 The Rudiments with T Jarrod Bonta - 4-Part Harmony Gospel
- 7-7:45 Ayan Hall dancing to the Irish flute of Jonathan Milton - Celtic Music & Dance
- 8-8:45 Los Jankies, Silas Lowe, Ben Hodges, et. al. - Bluegrass & Old-Time
The parking lot at the High Road on Dawson (formerly the Elks Lodge), 700 Dawson Road, Austin, TX 78704 will be available to Mid Winter festival attendees at $5.00 for the day.
Could you VOLUNTEER for the Mid-Winter Festival? CLICK HERE for the Volunteer Schedule and then email Kenny at email@example.com.
Here are a few of the workshops that will be offered at the Mid-Winter Festival. Click here for a complete schedule.
- Ukulele - Tim Keough
- Introduction to the Jaw Harp - Bernard Mollberg
- Children's Music workshop - Malissa Mollberg
- Acoustic Instrument Tinkering - Patrick Nolan
- Gospel singing - The Rudiments
2014 MID-WINTER FESTIVAL POSTER by Will Webster
DOUGHERTY ARTS CENTER
The festival is at the Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd in Austin (map). The Dougherty auditorium is a really sweet listening space with great sound and stadium seating so everyone can see and hear. You can move around the Center to attend workshops, get a bite to eat, bid on auction items, check out the art or just stretch your legs. Jamming is likely and encouraged!
Hope to see you at the festival! Email us at AFTMTexas@gmail.com if you have any questions.
Parking is limited at the Dougherty Arts Center and so we have arranged for extra parking at the Elks Lodge. The Elks Lodge has graciously offered their parking for free. Many thanks to the Elks Lodge for their support of the Mid-Winter Festival. Click here for a map.